fabrics aug 2009

Editor’s note:  I recommend  Lynn TROR’s blog, “Secret Words” can be easily found on our website: Ninepatch9.org 


My husband Bob just left to take Andy to the vet and have him put to sleep.  He had a liver disease and thyroid trouble for the past year. Though he had been eating well, he had gotten really mean and hurt our other  cats. (Maggie has four holes in her tail from him.  I took her to the vet because she is diabetic and I was afraid she would not heal and get an infection.) 

The vet techs said Andrew has probably been in pain. I do know he didn’t feel good sometimes. He had been throwing up a lot, but I hadn’t thought he was hurting. Now I think back, Andy had started to walk around the house at night and cry.  Maybe he was in pain.

We have four other cats: Maggie, Merlin, Nancy and Mr. Gray. Since Andy turned mean, Merlin wouldn’t come out of the closet where he sleeps. I really liked Andrew and I hate putting him to sleep. But fear for Andrew’s pain and his injuring our other cats forced our decision. 

We did not raise Andrew from a kitten. One of my relatives was moving and asked if I could take “Anna.” I went by to see the cat who ran to meet me and wanted to be picked up. I called my husband and he said, “Ok, we will find the cat a home.” 

On my way home, I stopped at our vet to have the cat checked before I took her home. I didn’t want to infect our other cats with anything.  When I went back to pick her up they told me “Anna” was really healthy and in good shape, but I might want to change “Anna” to “Andy” be-cause the cat was a neutered male.  Thus “Anna” became “Andrew.” 

When I brought him home and let him in the house, my husband was sitting on the couch. Andrew jumped up be-side him and went to sleep.  Needless to say, Andrew had found a new home– ours.

From then on he was Bob’s cat.  He sat with Bob all the time. When Bob went out in the yard or into the garden, Andrew went too.  When Bob worked outside, Andrew sat on the banister until he finished. 

My husband and I will miss him terribly.  


Patricia (July ’09 says, “Andrew was a Maine Coon cat. We read Maine Coon’s have a distinct personality.  If you want a cat with the actions and disposition of a dog, a Maine Coon is your best choice”



I am afraid that I will lose my job if I don’t learn Spanish — and I’m afraid that I cannot learn Spanish. 

I work in a church office in a part of the community that is changing rapidly from primarily Caucasian to Hispanic. One of my outreach responsibilities includes talking to anyone who comes to the church door looking for help.  Every few weeks now I face a Hispanic who does not speak English well.  We get through the conversation but it is not easy. 

I have taken Spanish classes at least six times over the last thirty-five years — even paying for private tutoring — and the lessons never “stuck.”  My mom was Hispanic, married to a Caucasian, in a time and place where that mixed marriage was met with a lot of prejudice.  Our family kept to ourselves. My father expected his children to be “white” and even then we all got enough bad treatment so when I got into junior high and high school, I insisted I was of Greek heritage.  Since we didn’t have a Greek community in our town, that seemed to satisfy my friends and teachers. 

I’m afraid to lose yet another job — especially since I am fifty-six but retiring is not an option. It is very scary thinking when I try again, I still will not be able to learn Spanish.


Georgene (Apr.’09) says, “Maybe this fear will turn into the push I have needed to break through old hurts.  I have to believe that I have a lot of Spanish in my brain just waiting to break free!”






June 21, 2009

Uncle Jerry’s operation was a success. When they opened him up, the appendix was bleeding heavily. They removed that, too. At least he recognized me for a moment afterwards. He is sleeping now.

We have to see how long the road to recovery will be. We just want him to feel stronger and get his hemoglobin back to normal.


June 25, 2009

Uncle Jerry is doing good. He is still on liquids. The doctor doesn’t want to remove the tube that goes up his nose and down the throat. Apparently, not all the toxins have left his body (stomach) and until then he’ll be on liquids. His hemoglobin is inching up. He is in good spirits.

        The oncologist came by the other night and spoke to us for a few moments. He said, “As far as I can see, no further treatment is necessary.”  (No chemo, no radiation.) We’ll wait to hear what the pathologist has to say before we decide about further treatment.

        Uncle Jerry is happy. I can do things for him, but most of the time, I let him do for himself. He wants his independence back.


June 30, 2009

Uncle Jerry is sitting next to me at the hospital computer. He is asleep. According to the doctors, he is doing fine. So far, the colon cancer was contained in one area. It didn’t metastasize — which is good.

        In the next few days, Uncle Jerry will be transported to a rehab. Not the same as the last one. I went ahead to see what it looks like. It is very clean and organized. Much better than the previous one.


        Lotte (June ’09) says, “Uncle Jerry has to get stronger — muscle-wise — and he has to put on some weight. He is still on a liquid diet and just skin and bones.”   



Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>